I was challenged by Bruegger's Bagels to turn one of their special edition Summer items into a new recipe that would delight their fans and our tastebuds! I was immediately drawn to their whipped blueberry greek cream cheese because duh, I friggin' love cream cheese but I wanted to put a little bit of a baking twist on it for y'all.
For the crumbs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
For the filling
- 8 ounces Bruegger’s Blueberry Greek cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 13x9x2-inch cake pan with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix with your hands to form crumbs. Tip: Use a small handheld pastry blender or whisk to cut the butter into the mix. You’ll know you’ve succeeded when you see little crumbs forming throughout the mix.
- Take out just enough for crumbs on top of cake, 3/4 cup. Set aside. To the remaining crumbs add the eggs and milk; beat well. Your batter will be thick and sticky.
- Place all filling ingredients into a medium bowl and beat with a whisk or mixer until smooth.
- Spread half the batter into the cake pan. The batter is very thick and sticky but try to spread as evenly as possible.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top to within about 1/2-inch of the edges (this is to ensure it does not leak)
- Gently spread the remaining batter on top of the cream cheese . Again the batter is thick so try adding dollups evenly on top and spreading that way.
- Sprinkle the top with the reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set on a rack to cool.
I enjoyed this recipe with all in my house and over tea while I worked. It serves 12 but won't last long in a home that love sweets! It's great to incorporate things you might now intially think of into different types of recipes... So do you want the opportunity to bring brunch to your house? Bruegger's Bagels is generously giving two Prim and Propah readers a $10 gift card to Bruegger's Bagels so they can snag some yums for themselves. Just leave a comment here and tell me what your favorite bagel is...
*This recipe was created in collaboration with Bruegger's Bagels. Ingredients and gift cards were provided by BB. All opinions are 100% my own and this recipe was created in my home. Thank you, as always, for support those that help keep Prim and Propah up and running!