I'm laying out the rules as follows:
- I can only buy food (including pre-arranged meals out), gas, necessities for baby such as diapers, wipes, bum cream etc.
- I can pay set monthly bills- Car pmt, Internet, Cell etc
- I cannot ask my husband to pick up anything besides food, though we are on the 21 day fix so I do most of the shopping anyhow.
- Trips to Dunks, Starbucks, Fast Food etc should not be considered food purchases
Things I had already pre-paid for/have on the books in the month of April:
- Local class on making your own natural body care products
- Easter Brunch at Nashoba Valley Winery
- Saturday Matinee to see Cinderella. In my defense, this was originally scheduled for March but was moved out due to conflicts.
I will keep track of the following:
- What I wanted to buy but didn't
- What I wanted to buy and did/didn't for the baby
- How often I wanted to shop out of boredom, if I could pinpoint the feeling
- When did I succumb to the urge to purchase for something unnecessary and did I put thought into this purchase before pulling the trigger.
I think this is an exciting challenge/exercise to become more aware of what I am spending and where I am spending it. My end goal is to make more mindful purchases and far fewer impulse ones. At the very least, I can make it through a few weeks keeping my shopping urges under control! *crosses fingers* Catch me on the flip and I'll let you know how I did!
What do you think? If Molly can do it, so can I!